Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The corporate ladder.......and the music business. Some observations from a professional in the no-collar work force.


If you're like me, you play music.  You may even be lucky enough to make a living with your music.  I became one of those lucky few about a year and a half ago, and not a day goes by that I am not completely grateful for how I pay my bills.  Because I am able to make a living...a modest living, but a living nonetheless....I have had the chance to travel to some awesome places, play some awesome shows, spend time with awesome people, and overall just have an awesome time.  I have noticed, though, that professional music (ESPECIALLY that which exists in Nashville....) can have some subtle negative effects.

Let's explore.

One of the draws to professional music for most people...myself included...is that it is an alternative to the white collar world of the desk jockey.  The world of a desk jockey, in our eyes, is a world in which colors are duller.  The white collar, or corporate, folks are always looking for the NEXT thing...the next promotion, the next raise, the next ____________.

I have some startling news.  Professional music can be strikingly similar....

In this corner.....desk jockeys.                In this corner....musicians
1.  Promotion                                            The Artist Gig
2.  Corner Office                                       The Major Label Artist Gig
3.  Quarterly Bonus                                   Endorsement Deals
4.  Sucking up to the boss                         Sucking up to people who could get you work
5.  Shameless Self Promotion                   Shameless Self Promotion....

Alright.  So those are just a few.  It is really quite amazing how similar the "corporate ladder" is to the world of Nashville music.  Maybe you don't have the "grass is always greener" attitude.  But I do.  And it's driving me crazy.  So if you share this attitude...let's try this.  Let's not worry about the guy that "isn't as good as you" who has the big gig.  Let's not worry that the guy who "isn't as good as you" got his guitar at cost.  Let's just be happy that we get to play music, pay our bills, and eat close to 3 meals a day. 

          

No comments:

Post a Comment